Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Diving Goals

As the year enters it’s twilight phase, I’ve started thinking about ‘scuba goals’ or the things I would like to do before December 2007 rolls around.

Rescue Diver: I am currently waiting for a quotation from the dive centre I usually use regarding a Rescue Diver course. I have decided to switch organisations. Prior to this I have always certified with PADI but I am going to certify through SSI. I feel that PADI is not so thorough although actually the thoroughness rests in the hands of the instructor. But, consider this: Rescue dive candidates must have 20 logged dives in the PADI system but in SSI they are required to have 50. That is 2 ½ times more. My whole purpose for certifying as a rescue diver is not to get the card but so that I can be as knowledgeable as possible about scuba. Events such as Hurricane Katrina and the tsunami in Indonesia (and Southeast Asia) have shown me that the worst case scenario does occur and to be minimally prepared is to be unprepared. I am hoping to finish my rescue diver training before I return to the USA in December.

Similan Islands, Thailand: Considered one of the top dives in the world are the Similan Islands. They are reachable via live-a-boards out of Phuket and I am hoping to visit them in early 2007. Also, I have never experienced what diving is like on a live-a-board, so I am interested to find out. The main draw is that the Similans are home to Richelieu Rock. There and other sites in the Similans whale sharks and manta rays are frequently spotted. Plus, the diving in general is supposed to be fantastic!

Vancouver, British Columbia: I once talked to my friend’s sister who raved about the diving in Vancouver. I just brushed it off as crazy exuberance until I saw the article in National Geographic about diving in Vancouver and the pictures just blew me away! Of course that is true of just about anything National Geographic does but it made me think I can’t pass it up the next time I am near there. I will be there in June of 2007 and I am hoping to do at least two days of diving there. Also, it will be my first cold water diving. What can I say, I have been spoiled by the tropics.

Sipadan, Malaysia: Everyone who dives Malaysian waters raves about Sipadan. Everyone who has never dove in Malaysia knows about Sipadan’s legendary diving. Why have I lived here four years and never dove there? This has got to change! So, by hook or by crook next year I will dive Sipadan.

What are your diving ‘goals’ over the next 15 months?